Sorry, this page has moved!
Please click here to go to the new location.

Dog License Program

Contact Us

1052 S. Livermore Avenue
Livermore, CA 94550
(925) 960-4315

Animal Control
(925) 371-4987

County Animal Shelter
(925) 803-7040

Office Hours
Monday to Friday
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Closed on Holidays

State law requires all dogs over the age of 4 months to be licensed in the area that they live. If a dog is lost or injured this identification makes it possible to contact the dog's owner. Contact the Livermore City Hall Finance Department to obtain a license. Be ready to provide them with current rabies vaccine information from a licensed veterinarian and documentation verifying that your dog has been spayed or neutered. Licenses are only valid through the rabies expiration date therefore, if the rabies vaccination has expired or will expire in the next two months a new rabies vaccine needs to be administered before a dog license can be issued. Please call (925) 960-4315 or E-mail for further information.

An Animal Fancier Permit is required for ownership of over six household pets (only three of which can be dogs) or any live stock or exotic animals such as: pot belly pigs, honeybees, chickens, geese, and reptiles over six feet in length. Click on this link to view the Animal Fancier Rules and Regulations.

Click here to download a Dog License Application.

Click here to download an Animal Fancier Permit.

City of Livermore Fee Schedule

Dog licenses are only valid for the duration of a rabies vaccine. See dog license fee schedule below. If you are unsure of the fee to register your pet please contact our office.

1/2 year license, spayed/ neutered     $2.75
1/2 year license, non-spayed/neutered $5.50
One year license, spayed/neutered $5.50
One year license, non-spayed/neutered $11.00
Three year license, spayed/neutered $12.50
Three year license, non-spayed/neutered $29.50
Animal Fancier Permit (Renewed Annually) $15.00

Livermore Renewal Periods

Quarter Ending Delinquent On
March 31st May 1st
June 30th August 1st
September 30th November 1st
December 31st February 1st

All delinquent payments require a $10.00 penalty!

Commonly Asked Questions

Why does the City of Livermore license dogs?

The State of California requires cities to monitor rabies by having a dog licensing program. The license fees help to cover the cost of city Animal Control services. If your dog is lost, a license makes it easier to reconnect lost animals with their owners.

What do I need in order to get a dog license?

After your dog is four months old a vaccination must be obtained from a veterinarian. The rabies vaccine lasts for one year for puppies and three years for adult dogs. The veterinarian issues a rabies certificate which must be presented at the time of licensing.

What if a dog isn't licensed? Are there penalties?

Yes. When an unlicensed stray is picked up a citation is issued to the owner. The owner must pay a fine, plus the license fee to recover the animal from the pound. However, if your pet is over 4 months old and has never been licensed, you may obtain a license without penalty during any of the 4 quarterly licensing periods.

Do I need to bring my dog in to get a license?

No. Just bring in the rabies certificate, proof of spay/neuter, and a check or cash.

Can I get my dog licensed by mail?

Yes, you can register by mail. Send us the rabies and spay/neuter certificate, which we will return, and the correct fee.

What about lost dogs?

If your dog is licensed and becomes a "lost dog", animal control may receive a call from someone who has found the dog, then will identify it by the tag number. Animal Control also keeps a list of dog licenses and uses it when strays are found.