Sorry, this page has moved!
Please click here to go to the new location.

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I allowed to ride my bicycle against the flow of vehicular traffic?

No.  Bicyclists are required to obey the same traffic laws as vehicles, including riding in the same direction as the flow of vehicular traffic, stopping at stop signs and red lights and all other traffic laws.  Riding with the flow of traffic is for the safety of the bicyclists because it increases the motorist's ability to see bicyclists.  Motorists are not expecting traffic (autos or bicycles) coming from the opposite direction of traffic and therefore, may not see a cyclist riding in the wrong direction.  Most collisions involving bicycles are caused by bicyclists riding the wrong way on a street.

Am I allowed to ride my bicycle on the sidewalk?

It is against the law to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk except in residential areas and where a sidewalk is specifically designated as a bike route.  When riding a bicycle on a sidewalk where permitted, the bicyclist must yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian, and must give an audible signal before overtaking and passing a pedestrian.

Can I have a stop sign installed, speed bump installed, "Slow Children at Play" sign installed, or have the speed limit lowered in my neighborhood to slow down traffic?

Refer to "Speed Control on Our Streets"

How do I get a copy of traffic counts or a speed survey?

For a copy of traffic counts or a speed survey, call Transportation Engineering at 960-4500.

How do I get a crosswalk in my neighborhood?

Crosswalks are not safety devices.  They are used to guide pedestrians into a preferred path and should not be used indiscriminately.  Crosswalks are marked at intersections where there is substantial conflict between vehicles and pedestrians, where significant pedestrian concentrations occur, where pedestrians could not otherwise recognize the proper place to cross, and where traffic movements are controlled.  When a crosswalk is requested, a traffic study will be conducted to determine if a crosswalk is appropriate.  If you have any questions, please call Transportation Engineering at 960-4500.

How do I go about getting a crossing guard in my neighborhood?

Crossing guards are primarily used to assist elementary and middle school students across the street on an identified route to school.  The City of Livermore uses City-adopted guidelines to evaluate the needs for adult school crossing guards.  State guidelines are based on the results of extensive research.  All requests for new adult crossing guards should be directed to Transportation Engineering at 960-4500.  Staff will thoroughly study the location.  If it is determined that a crossing guard is warranted, a request will be forwarded to the Police Department to budget funds and hire a new crossing guard.

I have to wait a long time at a traffic signal, even when there is no one in the opposite direction. Can the City fix this?

This condition could be an indication of a signal malfunction.  However, if it occurs on a major street during commute hours it could be the result of coordinating the traffic signals to favor major street traffic.  Please call Transportation Engineering at 960-4500 to report the problem.

I ride a motorcycle/bicycle and I have problems getting the traffic signals to change for me. Can the City help me?

Motorcycles/bicycles should wait in the center of the traffic lane or bike lane if provided at a traffic signal about 3 feet behind the limit line in order to be detected.  If the traffic signal still does not change, report the problem to the Maintenance Department.

My neighbors always park in front of my house. Can the City paint red curb in front of my house to eliminate parking?

No.  On-street parking is considered public parking, and is available for parking of any legal vehicle.

My streetlight is not functioning. Can the City fix it?

The City maintains public streetlights.  Contact the Maintenance Department at 960-8020 or fill out the maintenance request form.

Who do I call if I want to discuss how a traffic signal functions?

For more information on traffic signal operations, call Transportation Engineering at 960-4500.

Why doesn't the City paint the curb red in front of fire hydrants?

The public is expected to know that parking is not allowed within 15 feet of a fire hydrant.  It is the City's policy not to paint red curb in front of the hydrants, unless it becomes a repetitive problem of enforcement by the Police Department.