Below is a list of items that are exempt from permits according to the California Building, Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing Codes. For all projects except those listed below, a permit is likely required. Please contact the Permit Center at 925-960-4410 or at email@example.com if you have a question about your specific project.
Building (2016 California Building Code Section 105.2 Work Exempt from Permits)
- One story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet. Planning Division approval required for location. Please contact the Planning Division at firstname.lastname@example.org or 925-960-4450.
- Fences not over 7 feet high. The City of Livermore limits the height of a residential fence to 6 feet including lattice. Please contact Planning Division for any exceptions and commercial /industrial property regulations .
- Oil derricks
- Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II, or IIIA liquids. Please contact Planning Division for location approval.
- Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity is not greater than 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2:1.
- Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route. Also not within the public right away.
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops (that do not have a sink) and similar finish work. Please contact the Permit Center if any of this work is being completed in a kitchen or bathroom.
- Temporary motion picture, television, and theatre stage sets and scenery.
- Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to Group R-3 occupancy (single family residence) that are less than 24 inches deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons and are installed entirely above ground.
- Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including service systems.
- Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one- and two-family dwellings.
- Window awnings in Group R-3 and U occupancies (single family residence and garage), supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
- Nonfixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counter and partitions, not over 5 feet 9 inches in height.
Unless otherwise exempted, separate plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits will be required for the above exempted items.
Electrical (2016 California Electrical Code Article 188.8.131.52 (b) Permits)
The following activities are exempt from the requirement of permit and inspection:
1. Listed cord and plug connected temporary decorative lighting.
2. Reinstallation of attachment plug receptacles, but not the outlets thereof.
3. Repair or replacement of branch circuit overcurrent devices of the required capacity in the same location.
4.Installation or maintenance of communications wiring, devices, appliances, apparatus or equipment.
Mechanical (2016 California Mechanical Code 112.2 Exempt Work)
A mechanical permit shall not be required for the following work.
- Portable heating appliance, portable ventilating equipment, a portable cooling unit or a portable evaporative cooler.
- A closed system of steam, hot or chilled water piping within heating or cooling equipment regulated by this code.
- Replacement of any component part that does not alter its original approval and is in accordance with other applicable requirements of this code.
- Refrigerating equipment that is part of the equipment for which a permit has been issued pursuant to the requirements of this code.
- A unit refrigerating system.
Plumbing (2016 California Plumbing Code 103.1.2 Exempt Work)
A permit shall not be required for the following:
- Work exempt from permits as specified in Chapter 1, Administration, Division II, Section 104.2 items (1)-(2) of this code
- The stopping of leaks in drains, soil, waste or vent pipe, provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drain pipe, soil, waste, or vent pipe become defective and in becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, the same shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be procured and inspection made as provided in this code.
- The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves, or fixtures, and the removal and reinstallation of water closets,provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes, or fixtures.
- Changes, alteration, or repairs of a minor nature not affecting structural features, egress, sanitation, safety, or accessibility as determined by the enforcing agency.