Community Rating System

The Community Rating System (CRS) is a voluntary program for National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) participating communities. The goals of the CRS are to reduce flood damages to insurable property, strengthen and support the insurance aspects of the NFIP, and encourage a comprehensive approach to floodplain management.

The CRS has been developed to provide incentives in the form of premium discounts for communities to go beyond the minimum floodplain management requirements to develop extra measures to provide protection from flooding. Links to more info can be found here.

You can check if your house or business is in the floodplain by looking at our City GIS map. Remember to just go to layers and turn on flood zones. To check and see click here.

History of Flooding in the City of Livermore

  The City of Livermore, a part of the Alameda Creek drainage basin, is drained by Arroyo de la Laguna, a major tributary of Alameda Creek southwest of Livermore. Tributaries to Arroyo de la Laguna that drain the City of Livermore and surrounding regions include Arroyo Mocho, Arroyo Las Positas, Arroyo Seco, and Altamont Creek. No major bodies of water exist in the City, although several small lakes lie west of the city.  In the City of Livermore, flood-producing rainfall occurs during the winter months in the Livermore Valley. Storm runoff is concentrated rapidly by the network of tributaries that discharge through the hills into the major streams. The tributaries have carved well-defined courses through the hills; but, upon reaching the flat Livermore Valley, the channels become shallow and inadequate for lower return-frequency flows. Constricting structures combine with the development of some floodplain areas to make the City of Livermore susceptible to damage when large rainstorms occur. To check if your home or business is in the floodplain by address.


Purchase flood insurance on your property


Flooding is not covered by a standard homeowner’s insurance policy. A separate flood insurance policy is required to cover damages incurred by flooding.  Coverage is available for the building itself as well as for the contents of the building. The City of Livermore participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) that makes available federally backed flood insurance for all structures, whether or not they are located within the floodplain.  Note that there is a 30-day waiting period before coverage goes into effect. More than 25 percent of NFIP claims are filed by properties located outside the 100-year floodplain, also known as the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). Contact your insurance agency for more information.  Flood insurance information is also available in the Permit Center in the City Hall or contact at (925) 960 4440.


Protect your property from the hazards of flooding


Various methods may be used to minimize flooding.  If the floor level of your property is lower than the “Base Flood Elevation” (elevation of the 100-year flood, based on the FEMA maps), consider elevating your structure, if possible. Brochures discussing flood proofing and other mitigation measures are available in Livermore Public Libraries.  If a flood is imminent, property can be protected by sandbagging areas subject to the entry of water into living spaces. The Livermore Public Work Department or the Livermore - Pleasanton Fire Department may be available to assist with sandbagging efforts.  Valuables and furniture may also be moved to higher areas of the dwelling to minimize damages. The City of Livermore will make site visits to provide one-on-one advice to a property owner regarding flooding and drainage issues on private property. We also have site specific information for some parcels within Livermore.  For more information, please contact Pamela Lung at (925) 960-4538.


 What should you do during a flood?


If your property is in imminent danger of flooding, please contact PG&E at (800) 743-5002 to request that your power and natural gas be shut off, or for guidance on how to do it yourself.  This number may also be contacted regarding any other electrical or natural gas emergencies.


Tune-in to local commercial radio or television stations (KCBS – 740 AM), or NOAA Weather Radio (frequencies 162.425 or 162.400) for Watch and Warning Bulletins and any corresponding emergency instructions. The Alameda County emergency Preparedness Division will order or advise evacuation if conditions warrant this action. There website is:  If evacuations are called for, it is imperative that you follow instructions in the time frame noted. Questions regarding emergency procedures may be addressed to the City of Livermore – Pleasanton Fire Department at (925) 454-2361. If you have a life-threatening emergency call 9-1-1.

  • If dangerous flooding conditions are imminent, avoid driving a vehicle if possible. Do not attempt to drive or wade through deep pockets of water or running washes. Unstable banks should be avoided. To report flooding call 960-8100.

  • Develop an evacuation for you and your family.

  • Avoid low-lying areas. Seek shelter in the highest areas possible.


 What should you do after a flood?

  • Listen to the radio for emergency instructions.

  • Avoid driving if possible.

  • Follow established procedures for property damage repairs:

Select a contractor who is licensed in his trade.  The City of Livermore requires contractors to be licensed in the State of California and to have a City of Livermore Business Licenses. Only licensed electricians may perform electrical work, only licensed plumbers may perform plumbing work, only licensed gas contractors may work on a gas system, only licensed mechanical contractors may perform heating, ventilation and air conditioning work, and only licensed building contractors may perform building related work. Verify that contractors are licensed before signing or agreeing to any repair contracts.   It is also recommended that you verify certification of liability and workman’s compensation insurance.  Complaints against licensed contractors may be referred to the appropriate licensing agency.


Require your contractors to obtain the proper permits for work being performed. Permits are required for any permanent improvement (including painting, roofing, siding, additions, alterations, etc.) to a structure and for site work such as grading, filling, etc.  Permits are required even if a homeowner is doing the work himself.