The City Council consists of four Council Members and a Mayor. Council Members serve four-year terms and the Mayor serves a two-year term. The Mayor and Council Members are elected at-large.
The City Council is the legislative body and makes laws and policy decisions through the enactment of ordinances and resolutions. The City Council adopts the City budget, represents the City on County and regional governmental agencies, hosts ceremonial occasions, and carries out a great variety of other municipal responsibilities. City Boards, Commissions and Committees assist the Council by:
- Advising on matters within their area of responsibility and interest, as prescribed by the City Council and its ordinances.
- Helping focus attention on specific issues and problems and recommending actions and alternatives for Council consideration.
- Acting as channels of communication and information among City government, the general public, and special interest groups.
- Providing direction toward achievement of City-wide goals and objectives.
- Encouraging broad citizen participation in the definition and formulation of City goals.
- Balancing community needs and desires with municipal responsibility and resources.