| || |
Bicycle Safety and Awareness Month
April 29, 2013
May marks the month of Bicycle Safety and Awareness in the cities of Dublin, Livermore and Pleasanton. In the Tri-Valley, the cities will host several events to promote bicycle safety and bicycling as a healthy way to travel, including the Bay Area’s 19th Annual Bike to Work Day where thousands of commuters are expected to participate. On May 9, Energizer Stations will be set up between 7:00 – 9:00 a.m. where cyclists can stop and enjoy refreshments, receive free bike t-shirts and commute bags, while supplies last, as well as sign up for a local raffle drawing for prizes donated by numerous local businesses. The cities of Dublin and Pleasanton, along with BART, Dublin Cyclery, and Hacienda Business Park, a Big Wheel Sponsor of Bike to Work Day, will host an Energizer Station at the East Dublin/Pleasanton BART station. The City of Livermore and ABC Music will host one in Downtown Livermore. Additional Energizer Stations are planned at the West Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station, hosted by REI Dublin and Workday, Inc.; Stanley Boulevard at Shadow Cliffs hosted by Alameda County Public Works Agency; and at Pleasanton’s Foothill High School, hosted by Foothill High's Earth Club and Mike's Bikes Pleasanton.
In addition to the May 9 activities, numerous events are planned in the Tri Valley to promote bicycling:
• Free Bicycle Safety Workshops in Dublin and Pleasanton. Classes range from on-road, on-your-bike instruction to family bike workshops. For dates and to register for the free classes, visit www.ebbc.org/safety.
• Flat Tire Repair Clinic - Sunday, May 5, from 10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., hosted by the City of Dublin and Dublin Cyclery on the Iron Horse Trail at the intersection of Amador Valley Blvd.
• “Bike to the Market” Booth - Thursday, May 16, from 4:00 – 8:00 p.m., at the Dublin Farmer’s Market. Cyclists visiting the booth with evidence of bicycling to the event, such as a helmet or bike, will receive a free “Carrot Cash” voucher, valued at $5, to use at one of the Market booths.
• Amgen Tour of California Stage 7 Start - Saturday, May 18, in Livermore.
• Community Bike Rides - Sunday, May 19, in Dublin and Pleasanton.
• Bike Donation Drive - Saturday, May 25, from 11 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., at REI Dublin located at 7099 Amador Plaza Road, hosted by the City of Dublin, REI Dublin, and Cycles of Change.
Bike to School events are planned in Dublin and Pleasanton:
• Pleasanton Bike to School Days - Friday, May 3, at Pleasanton Middle School, Friday, May 10, at Hart Middle School and Friday, May 24, at Harvest Park Middle School. The schools will host Energizer Stations at the schools’ bike storage areas beginning at 8:00 a.m. where student cyclists will be greeted with refreshments and goody bags filled with bicycle safety items. Pleasanton Police representatives and city staff will be facilitating helmet fittings and free helmet giveaways the preceding Friday of each of the three middle schools’ Bike to School days.
• Foothill High School Bike Tune Up & Bike Festival - Tuesday, May 7, from 11:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. The Alameda County Safe Routes to School Program's Bike Mobile will offer student and staff cyclists a free bike repair clinic. A lunchtime Bike Festival will consist of a Bike Blender and Bike Trivia Wheel to encourage students to bike to school on Bike to School Day, Thursday, May 9.
• Foothill High School Bike to School Day - Thursday, May 9, from 7:00 - 9:00 a.m. Stop by Foothill High's Energizer Station located in the front of school for refreshments as well as free t-shirts and commute bags, while supplies last.
• Dublin Bike to School Days - May 6-10 at Dougherty Elementary and May 20-24 at Dublin, Frederiksen, Green, Kolb, and Murray Elementary Schools. Students attending the schools are encouraged to bike each day – a surprise will be attached to their bicycles one day during the week.
• Dublin High School Bike to School Day & Bike Festival - Friday, May 24. An Energizer Station distributing refreshments and giveaways to cyclists will be located adjacent to the bike storage area. The Bike Festival will be held during lunch that day with a Bike Blender and Bike Trivia Wheel.
For more information on Dublin events, visit www.dublin.ca.gov/btwd; for Livermore events, visit www.cityoflivermore.net; for Pleasanton events, visit www.pleasantongreenscene.org/transportation.
For Livermore Bike Trails Map, click here.
For Bicycle Safety in Livermore, click here.