Non-Traditional Parenting Classes
The Parent Project® is a parent training evidence-based program for parents with strong-willed children ages 12-17 that have out-of-control behavior. The award winning published curriculum teaches parents specific interventions for the most destructive adolescent behaviors such as running away, truancy, drugs, angry outbursts, and gang behavior. 2015-16 English Speaking Parent Project Flyer
: Classes begin October 20, 2015
What is the structure of the class?
- Class is curriculum-based and fast-paced with a combination of presentations and exercises among parent participants.
- Each participant is required to purchase the workbook, Changing Destructive Adolescent Behavior to be used at home and during the class.
- Parents are taught practical strategies for the most destructive adolescent behaviors such as gang involvement, depression and suicide, sexually acting out, substance abuse, and violent and defiant behaviors.
- Parents go on to form their own support groups after graduating from the Parent Project® utilizing the tools that they learned from the program.
- Parent Project® is an evidence-based program with proven results such as reduced expulsions, juvenile crime, and improved attendance.
When is the class held?
Horizons conducts two Parent Project® programs per year. Our English Parent Project® runs from October to January and is held at Livermore Adult Education, 1401 Almond Avenue, Livermore. Our Spanish Parent Project® runs from March to May and takes place at Del Valle Continuation High School, 2253 Fifth Street, Livermore. Pre-registration is required and slots fill up quickly. Please contact
Horizons at 925-371-4747 if interested in learning more or signing up for our next class.
How long are the classes?
The English & Spanish-Speaking Parent Project® are both 12 weeks in duration. Each weekly session is three hours – a total of 36 hours of parent training. The classes are held on Tuesdays from 6-9 PM.
Who teaches the classes?
The classes are a collaborative effort – facilitators from the Livermore Joint Unified School District, the Livermore Police Department, Horizons Family Counseling and other community agencies. A licensed mental health professional from Horizons Family Counseling will be the lead facilitator. All of the facilitators are certified Parent Project® facilitators and have completed the mandated 40-hour training course.
What is the cost?
The cost is $200 per couple or $125 for one parent. Scholarships are available for single parents and couples who qualify. Dinner and the workbook are included in the cost. To research more about the Parent Project®, their Web site is http://www.parentproject.com/.