Available at Civic Center Library, Monday – Friday, 1:00pm – 5:00pm
While the Stay at Home order is in place, the Livermore Public Library is closed to the public. With the recent easing of restrictions, the Library is now able to offer limited curbside pickup of library materials that have been placed on hold. To support social distancing, the library is operating with very limited staffing. Calling to have items pulled and picked up on the same day is not a service that is currently available. Staff will fill your holds as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Delivery between libraries in the Link+ System is currently suspended, so staff will not be able to provide you with materials owned by other libraries, only those that are available here in Livermore. There will be an extended delay on items placed on hold from the Rincon and Springtown Branch Libraries. Library of Things holds are not currently being fulfilled.
STEP 1: Place your items on hold
- Search the library catalog to find items and place on hold. The catalog search box is located in the upper right at the top of each library web page. Alternatively, you may also search the catalog by using the library’s app on your smartphone.
- OR call 925-373-5505 and staff will place holds for you. Be sure to have your library card number ready.
- Make sure to select the Civic Center Library as your pickup location.
- You will be notified via email, text or phone when your hold is ready. Please wait for your notice before moving to the next step.
STEP 2: Arrange an appointment
- To arrange an appointment, please have your library card number ready. Call 925-373-5505 Monday through Friday, between 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. If you are not able to reach someone, please leave a message and staff will return your call within two business days.
- Please do not report to the library to pick up your holds without setting up an appointment with staff.
- If staff have not heard from you within seven days of your hold being filled, or as time allows, they will call you to arrange an appointment.
- Using CDC and Alameda County Health Department protocols, staff will pull your items, check them out to your account, bag them and attach a hold slip with your name on it. (If you have questions about library safety procedures, please give us a call or send an email).
STEP 3: Pick up your items
- During your appointment window, please park in one of the numbered spaces in the parking lot near the front of the library.
- Call the number listed on the sign at your parking space. If the phone goes to voicemail, please do not leave a message and instead continue to call until you speak with someone. Staff will ask your name, space number, and color/make of your car. If you do not have a cell phone, call 925-373-5591 right before leaving home; then, when you arrive, park in the spot marked “No phone”.
- Please pop or open your trunk. We will put the bag of items in your vehicle. If you are unable to open your trunk, or items will not fit, staff will leave them on the curb for you to retrieve in order to minimize contact. Please note: For the safety of staff and other patrons, you must wear a face covering if you need to leave your car or roll down your window.
- STAFF ARE UNABLE TO ACCEPT RETURNED ITEMS AT THE CURB. If you have items to return, place them in the book drop. Please do not try to hand them to staff who are delivering your items.
- Staff are not able to take hold requests when providing curbside service. Please call 925-373-5505 and staff will be happy to help you place a hold or make a reading recommendation. You may also place your own holds by searching the library catalog or downloading our library app.
- No late fees will accrue on your account. Library Staff are managing due dates so that no items should go overdue until the library is open again.
Curbside Pickup Frequently Asked Questions
Why aren’t you offering curbside pickup at the Rincon and Springtown branches?
The California State Library’s COVID-19 Industry Guidance suggests that libraries “consider only offering curbside service at certain branches first to ensure proper staffing and security.” The library will provide curbside pickup service at the branches once the library ensures that the service is operating safely and smoothly, pending availability of staffing and supplies.
Why are you only offering curbside pickup from 1-5pm Monday – Friday?
The library is limiting hours to enable staff to implement the service in a safe and orderly manner. Staff will consider increasing these hours should demand remain high, pending availability of adequate staffing and supplies.
Why do I need to place a hold?
The California State Library’s COVID-19 Industry Guidance states that “Libraries can offer curbside pick-up for items patrons place on hold or through another type of reservation-based system. Patrons should place a hold in the library’s online catalog or make an appointment in order to make use of the curbside pick-up service.” Holds allow staff to provide materials in a fair and orderly manner.
Why can’t I place a hold on and pick up Library of Things items?
The California State Library’s COVID-19 Industry Guidance suggests that “Libraries should limit loans of games and toys” and “Items should be placed in labeled bags for ease of pick-up and to avoid unnecessary contact with the items.” Many of the items in the Library of Things collection do not easily fit into bags, which the library is using in efforts to ensure no-contact delivery.