Every year in April, the Livermore Public Library hosts the Teen Art Exposition, showcasing the talent of Livermore’s teen artists. This year’s theme is: In Our Nature. This is a judged competition, with local artists and public figures featured on the judging panel.
- First day to submit artwork: Monday, 3/4/19, 10:00 am
- Last day to submit artwork: Wednesday, 3/20/19, 8:00 pm
- First day of art expo: Monday, 4/1/19
- Last day of art expo: Tuesday, 4/30/19
- Reception: Thursday, 4/18/19, 7:00 pm
- First day to pick up artwork: Wednesday, 5/1/19
- Last day to pick up artwork: Friday, 5/31/19
- The library will be accepting artwork submissions from Monday, March 3, 2019 at 10:00am through Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 8:00pm. Please bring your submission and completed entry form to the Information Desk at the Civic Center Library.
- The artwork will be displayed as space allows in the Art Gallery at the Civic Center Library from Monday, April 1, 2019 to Tuesday, April 30, 2019.
- Students in grades 6 through 12 are invited to submit a piece of artwork for the exhibition.
- Artists may enter one piece of artwork as either an individual or a team. However, team members may not also enter as individuals.
- Artwork is limited to 2D pieces and must be framed and/or matted with a suitable hanging system. Artwork with inadequate hanging systems will not be accepted. (Please see below for details).
- In order to ensure that the maximum number of submissions can be displayed, the following size restrictions are in place:
- Submitted artwork can be no larger than 18” x 24” (mat and/or frame included).
- Submitted artwork will be no smaller than 4” x 6” (mat and/or frame included).
- Artwork must be entered into one of the following categories:
- Drawing (pen and ink, pencil, or pastels)
- Painting (acrylic or watercolor)
- Photography (digital or traditional)
- Mixed Media (any combination of techniques)
- Award ribbons will be awarded for both middle school and high school age groups. There will be a first, second, and third place award for each category in both age groups. There will also be a Best in Show for both age groups.
- Judges will be looking for the following qualities when evaluating the artwork:
- Visual impact
- Adherence to theme
- The Art Reception will take place on Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 7pm in the Civic Center Library Art Gallery. Ribbon winners will be revealed at the Art Reception.
- At the Art Reception there will be a drawing for gift card prizes. All artists who attend the reception will be entered into the drawing. Winners will be randomly selected. The artist must be present to win.
- After the exposition, the artwork may be picked up starting Wednesday, May 1, 2019. The library will keep the artwork no later than Friday, May 31, 2019.
Acceptable Hanging Methods:
Artwork submissions must be equipped with a suitable hanging system. Artwork without a suitable hanging system will not be accepted. In the past, submissions with inadequate hanging systems have fallen off the gallery walls. The library has instituted these rules in order to protect artists’ submissions from damage and to ensure that they hang properly in the gallery.
A wire hanging system, like the one above, is strongly preferred for framed artwork. Hooks are firmly mounted to the frames, with wire looped between the hooks. This type of mounting allows greater flexibility when the artwork is displayed in the gallery, and allows us to adjust the artwork so that it hangs level on the wall.
Please see the following video for instructions on how to install a wire hanging system on a frame:
Sawtooth hangers and d-rings are also acceptable hanging systems, with reservations. Some frames can be purchased with these devices already attached. However, some sawtooth hangers or d-rings may not have openings large enough to fit on the hooks used in the library’s art gallery. A spare hook will be kept at the information desk during the submission period if you wish to test your hanging system before submitting your artwork.
Adhesive hangers, like the one pictured below, are only acceptable for matted artwork. In our experience, these adhesive hangers are not strong enough to support framed artwork. If using an adhesive hanger, please limit the total size of your artwork to no larger than 11” x 14” (mat included).