With the Spring Comes Wildlife
Raccoons, opossums, skunks and other wildlife are common in residential neighborhoods. It is possible to co-exist with them if we take a few preventative measures.
1. Remove or cover possible food sources. Garbage cans, pet food etc.
2. Screen all attic, porch and foundation vents with heavy-duty mesh.
3. Professionally cap chimneys or cover with heavy gauge hardware cloth.
4. Close off passages to areas beneath porches and other crawl spaces
5. Prune or remove tree limbs hanging over the building.
6. Use pet-doors at you own risk. If conventional ones are used, bolt them tightly at night. Or purchase an electronic pet-door, designed to open for you pet only.
7. Remove unnecessary outdoor clutter such as old newspaper, junk, woodpiles and old cars.
8. Do not feed wildlife no matter how cute or tame they may appear.
9. Wild animals do not like the odor of mothballs or ammonia. Rags soaked in ammonia placed in areas wildlife frequent will help keep them away.
10. Nocturnal wildlife that have made a home for themselves in you attic or under your house do not like light or noise. A well placed drop light and radio will cause them to leave. After they are gone the openings where they got in should be secured.
Another interesting discovery is getting up in the morning to find your lawn full of holes or even worse, your brand new sod rolled back up!
Most likely you are not being visited by a wild boar. Raccoons look for grubs in your lawn and dig holes and roll up freshly laid sod looking for the grubs.
You can purchase grub killer at the hardware store or nursery and treat your lawn. Once the grubs are gone, the raccoons should leave your lawn alone. It may take several applications so be patient.
Click here for Fish and Game regulations.
If you have taken the previously listed steps to discourage wildlife and you are still experiencing a problem, please call Alameda County Vector Control at (510)567-6800 for other possible solutions.
Our goal is to not have any unwanted animals. We need you to help us. You can do this by spaying and neutering your pets, providing your pet with a proper collar and identification and by providing a home for your pet where it will not roam the streets. With your help this goal can be achieved.
Click here for low the low cost spay and neuter clinic and the free "Pit Fix".