| || |
What is Neighborhood Watch?
Neighborhood Watch is a "team" approach in which the Livermore Police Department works hand in hand with you and your neighbors to reduce crime in our community. Statistics and criminals alike verify that when neighbors organize, the opportunity for crime is drastically reduced. Our Crime Prevention Specialist is available to assist you in starting and maintaining your Neighborhood Watch. Join the team and help to contribute to the safety of our community.
How Do I Start a Neighborhood Watch?
- Concentrate your initial effort by organizing those neighbors with whom you have occasional contact.
- Talk with your neighbors and tell them that you are starting a Neighborhood Watch. Ask which evenings your neighbors are available. Generally, meetings are conducted in the evening hours.
- Tell your neighbors that you will notify them when a meeting is scheduled. If you need a location for your meetings, ask if neighbors can offer their homes. Alternative locations which can be arranged include local schools, places of worship and libraries.
- Next call our Crime Prevention Office at (925) 371-4797 to schedule an available date and time for your first meeting.
- Each Neighborhood Watch Group must have a Block Captain. Block Captains serve as a liaison between the Police Department and the Neighborhood Watch Group.
- Block Captain meetings are held quarterly at the Livermore Police Department. These meetings usually cover the progress of the program and special training topics.
How Do I Keep My Neighbors Involved?
Keep the problems away by keeping up with meetings.The continued interest and involvement of your neighbors is crucial to the success of your Neighborhood Watch. While holding periodic crime prevention meetings is important, gathering only to discuss "gloom and doom" topics may cause a loss of interest. Introducing a variety of activities into your Neighborhood Watch provides a welcome change of pace. Here are a few ideas to keep the meetings going:
- National Night Out - Tuesday August 4th, 2015
- Street Parties/BBq's
- Pool Party
- Holiday Parties
| || |