- Leave drapes and shades open. Closed drapes and shades indicate an unoccupied house.
- Have your lawn taken care of. Dry uncut grass says you are away.
- Put peepholes in front doors. Those with magnifying glass lens are best. You can see who is outside without opening the door. Consider door chains, too. Never leave a note on your door saying you are not home.
- Take care of your keys...don't leave a key under a doormat, flower pot or on a ledge. Burglars look in these locations first. Never leave an ignition key in your car and never put a house key on your automobile keychain.
- If you have a dog or an alarm, display "BEWARE" signs. These deter thieves.
- Leave a radio on. Turn it to a talk station and turn the volume loud enough to be heard outside. Turn down the phone ringer down so that a prowler cannot hear the phone ring.
- Do not keep expensive jewelry at home unless you have a secure safe.
- Light the outside of your home. Outside lights should illuminate doors and dark areas.
- Put interior lights on timers to simulate that someone is home.
- Keep your garage door down and locked.
- Mark valuable items with your drivers license number. Keep a list of these items.
- Secure patio doors. A steel or wooden rod in the guide will work. A pin type lock may also be used for added security.
- Look into an alarm system.
- Keep shrubbery trimmed. Thick or tall shrubbery can hide windows and doors. This gives a thief a place to work unseen.
- Make an inventory of items in your home. Take photos of valuable items. Keep one copy and give a copy to your insurance company. Video tape the entire interior of your home showing your property.
We are always getting questions regarding solicitors and what their requirements are. The City of Livermore does have a Solicitors Municipal Code; "Each person shall obtain a solicitor's permit from the police department before engaging in the business of selling or soliciting at residences, or in a residential neighborhood, in the city." Click here to read the full Municipal Code.
Here is a current list of all valid permits in the city.
ALWAYS AKNOWLEDGE A SOLICITOR AT YOUR DOOR!
If you feel a solicitor is up to no good or gives you an uneasy feeling please call the non-emergency phone number; 371-4987. Sometimes solicitors can become aggressive and this is unacceptable!