Reporting a Vehicle Collision

Sorry, this page has moved!
Please click here to go to the new location.

Reporting a Vehicle Collision

No matter how safely you drive, chances are someday you'll be involved in a traffic collision. Regardless of who is at fault, there are several things you are legally required to complete.

  • Immediately stop the vehicle at the nearest location that will not impede traffic or otherwise jeopardize the safety of other motorists.
  • Do not attempt to move an injured person from a vehicle unless you have medical training or there is an immediate danger, such as a fire.
  • Call police as quickly as possible, regardless of whether injury or property damage occurred and regardless of whether the collision occurred on public or private property.
  • If there are no injuries involved you could simply exchange information with the other driver. You must present your driver’s license and vehicle registration, which includes your name, current address, driver's license number, license plates and insurance policy number.
  • Contact your insurance company immediately.
  • At your first opportunity, you should see a doctor, you may not realize you’ve been injured.

If your vehicle has been involved in a non-injury hit and run collision and it meets the following criteria, you can use the online system.

  • No injuries are associated with the collision.
  • Other than paint transfer, there is no physical evidence left at the scene (license plate, bumper, etc.)
  • There is no information or witnesses available that would lead to the identification of a suspect.

If the non-injury hit and run does not fit the above criteria, call the Livermore Police Dispatch Center at 925-371-4987 and request and officer respond for a report.

Reporting Property Damage

  • If you had a collision with an unattended vehicle or caused damage to some property, you must make a reasonable effort to find the property owner at the time of the collision.
  • If no one can be located, leave a note in a conspicuous place on the vehicle or property. Include the date and time of the incident, your name, address, vehicle information, and your insurance policy number.
  • You must also report the accident to the police without unnecessary delay.

Driver Responsibility and Obtaining a Copy of a Police Report

If you were the driver involved in a collision that resulted in any personal injury, death or total property damage of $750.00 or more, regardless of fault, you must file a (SR-1) form with the Department of Motor Vehicles within 10 days of the collision. Failure to file may result in the loss of your driver's license and vehicle registration. If you filed a police report, a copy of the report can be obtained by visiting the police station where the report was filed and referencing the case number. There is a $10 fee to obtain a copy of your collision report.

For more information or to file a traffic collision report that occurred within Livermore city limits, contact the Livermore Police Department at (925) 371-4900 or at 1110 S. Livermore Ave.