Water Service & Billing

Sorry, this page has moved!
Please click here to go to the new location.

Water Service & Billing

How do I start or stop water service?

To start or stop water service, call the Finance Department at 960-4320.

I have a high bill. How do I determine if I have a water leak?

Reading your water meter can help you detect leaks in your household plumbing. Click here to take the EPA 10 minute WaterSense Challenge to detect and chase down leaks. 

I have questions about my water bill. Who do I call?

Please call the Finance Department at 960-4320 with any billing questions.

I'm having problems with my water service. What should I do?

First, determine if the problem is local to your home, or if your neighbors are experiencing it as well. If many homes are having the same problem, inform the Water Resources Division of the problem by calling 960-8100, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. During other hours and on weekends, call 960-8160.

Where is my water meter? How do I read it?

The water meter is generally in a concrete box marked "water" on the lid, located near the curb in front of your home or place of business. By reading your water meter, you can tell how much water you use, and you can check for leaks. If you turn off all the taps, and the meter is still turning, you'll know that you probably have a leak somewhere.

To remove the lid, insert a tool such as a large screwdriver into one of the holes and pry the lid off. Visually examine the area around the meter to make sure there are no harmful insects or other animals. The water meter measures in units of cubic feet. One cubic foot equals 7.48 gallons. Your water bill is based on the number of units of 100 cubic feet used during the billing period. The abbreviation for 100 cubic feet is ccf, with one ccf equal to 748 gallons of water. Let's say, for example, that you check your meter and it reads 21,500. This number represents the total number of cubic feet of water recorded since the meter was installed. If, when you check your water meter again, you've used 1,500 cubic feet of water, the water meter would then read 23,000 cubic feet (21,500 plus 1,500). 

Whose pipes are whose?

Livermore Municipal Water is responsible for pipes on the "street side" of the Livermore Municipal Water customers' water meter, including all service lines and water mains extending throughout the Livermore Municipal Water community, as well as the Livermore Municipal Water water meter itself. If you notice a water leak in the street or in the vicinity of your water meter, please call 960-8100 to report it. The property owner is generally responsible for all pipes and plumbing on the "customer side" of the water meter. This includes the interior plumbing of the home, the outside irrigation system, and the area where the property's water system connects to the water meter.