Illicit residential discharge
Preventing water pollution at home takes only simple changes in the way we clean and do chores!
- Clean up outdoor spills with a broom, not a hose. use absorbents (e.g. cat litter, sawdust or cornmeal) as needed.
- Rinse latex paint brushes in the sink, and filter and reuse oil-based paint thinners.
- Dispose of unused chemicals properly.
- Buy non-toxic products whenever possible.
- Make sure professionals, such as carpet cleaners or painters, dispose of materials properly, not in a gutter or storm drain.