| || |
Measure B Reauthorization
Alameda County Voters to Consider Extending Transportation Sales Tax in November
July 17, 2012
Measure B, Alameda County's one-half cent sales tax for transportation, was first approved by voters in 1986 and reauthorized in 2000. This November (2012), Alameda County voters will once-again have the opportunity to decide whether to reauthorize the sales tax measure and associated county-wide Transportation Expenditure Plan (TEP). If approved, Measure B will provide $7.8 billion over 30 years for transportation improvements throughout Alameda County.
The Measure will extend and augment the current transportation sales tax by a half-cent. The measure requires a two-thirds majority to pass. Since inception, Measure B funds have helped fund the following major Eastern Alameda County projects:
- I-580 Isabel Avenue Interchange
- State Route 84 (SR-84)- new alignment (now Isabel Avenue) including extension of SR-84 from Stanley Boulevard to Jack London Boulevard, widening of SR-84 from I-580 to Vallecitos Road and improvements through Pigeon Pass
- I-580/I-680 Interchange flyover
- I-580 eastbound auxiliary lane from Santa Rita Road to Isabel Avenue/SR-84
- Local Streets and Roads, Mass Transit, Bicycle, Pedestrian and Paratransit Improvements
For the City of Livermore, reauthorization of Measure B and the new TEP will mean continued transportation funding for projects and programs that improve people's mobility and access to transit and help create more vibrant, livable communities. This plan will nearly double funding to the City of Livermore for maintenance and upgrades of local streets and roads and bicycle and pedestrian improvements/trails, as well as provide specialized transportation for seniors and people with disabilities and bicycle and pedestrian safety. It will also provide additional funding to LAVTA Wheels, Altamont Commuter Express (ACE Rail) and BART to restore and expand bus and train services and extend BART to Livermore.
( Measure B Reauthorization and TEP Fact Sheet )
| || |