Business License Information


Application forms for a Business License and a Home Occupation Permit can be downloaded and printed.

On September 19, 2012 Governor Brown signed into law SB-1186 which adds a state fee of $1 on any application for a local business license or similar instrument or permit, or renewal thereof. As of January 1, 2018, AB-1379 increases this fee to $4. The purpose is to increase disability access and compliance with construction-related accessibility requirements and to develop educational resources for businesses in order to facilitate compliance with federal and state disability laws, as specified. 

Assembly Bill 3002 went into effect on January 1, 2019, which provides information regarding disability access requirements and resources to business owners.

To read the full notice in English, click:

To view in other languages click:


Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:


Every person or business that sells tangible items, provides service or has an office (including Internet businesses) within the City of Livermore must have a Livermore business license. A business license is not transferable. It is the responsibility of the business owner to notify the city of any changes to the business. If you have questions please call (925) 215-4906 or E-mail  All businesses located within the city limits of Livermore must contact the Planning Department at (925) 960-4450 as to zoning regulations and approval of signs concerning their business location. Please call the Livermore Police Dept. @ (925) 371-4900 for additional requirements for the following businesses: Day Spa, Massage, Solicitor, Dance, Card Room and Taxi. The agencies listed below may also have requirements that apply to your business. This is not a complete list. 

  • Fictitious Name: Alameda County (510) 272-6789
  • Child Care: State of California (510) 622-2602 All childcare providers must be licensed with the State. A business license is required for all childcare providers
  • Contractors State License Board: State of California (800) 321-2752
  • Bay Area Air Quality Management District: (415) 771-6000
  • State Licensing Requirements: State of California, Department of Consumer Affairs (800) 952-5210 (Not limited to: Attorney, Auto Repair, Bedding, Beautician, Physician, etc.)
  • Sale of Alcohol: State of California, Alcoholic Beverage Control Department (510) 622-4970
  • Sale of Food or Drink: Alameda County Department of Environmental Health (510) 567-6700
  • Sale of Products: State of California, State Board of Equalization (800) 400-7115 (state sales tax) -
  • Employment Development Department: (800) 300-5616
  • State Income Tax, Franchise Tax Board (800) 852-5711
  • Federal Income Tax, Internal Revenue Service (800) 829-1040 (Federal Identification Number)
  • Website for new businesses: