Civic Center Library Allows Visits by Appointment
Monday – Friday, 3:00 – 6:00 PM
The Civic Center Library is available to visit in person by appointment, with limited availability for walk-ins. For the health and safety of library patrons, capacity will be limited and only select services will be available during onsite visits. Each appointment will be for a 45-minute time period, which will allow entry into the building for browsing, holds pickup, and checkout. Walk-ins may be available, depending on occupancy levels after all booked appointments have entered.
To visit Civic Center Library in-person:
- Visit the Library’s onsite appointment page or call 925-373-5505 between the hours of 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Monday through Friday, to set up an appointment. Walk-ins may be available, but appointments will receive priority.
- Arrive at the Library at or before your appointment. Visitors will be lined up for their appointment based on when they arrive.
- Any books you have to return should be placed in the outside book drops. No book returns will be accepted inside. Library of Things can be returned in the lobby.
- Once all appointments have entered, walk-ins will be permitted to enter up to occupancy levels outlined by the State/County.
- A brief health screening will be performed at the door, including a temperature check.
- The appointment/window lasts for 45 minutes. An announcement will sound when 10 minutes remain.
- To limit exposure, only one appointment per person per day is allowed.
Services Currently Available
- Browse for materials to check out.
- Search library catalog.
- Pick up holds.
- Check out materials.
- Limited staff assistance.
Services Currently Unavailable
- Public computers, photocopier, fax machine, scanning, study tables, study rooms, meeting rooms.
- Magazines (staff can retrieve – Reading Room is closed to public except as an emergency exit).
- Library of Things checkout.
Other services available during in-person visit times
- Holds/Book pickup – If you prefer not to enter the library, a staff member will assist you at the entrance. If you have books on hold that are ready to be picked up, or have a specific request, staff will take your library card and enter the library for you to check out your books and bring them out to you. No need to make an appointment. If you choose to make use of this service, you may end up waiting until those queuing to enter the library have done so.
- Tax form pickup – Some tax forms have arrived at the library. Call ahead before making your trip in order to make sure the library has your form in stock. Tax forms can be picked up with the help of the library staff member at the entrance of Civic Center Library.
Onsite Visit Frequently Asked Questions
- Why aren’t you offering onsite visits to the Rincon and Springtown branches?
The Library will provide Onsite visits to the branches once the library ensures that the service is operating safely and smoothly, pending availability of staffing and supplies.
- Why are you only offering onsite visits from 3:00 – 6:00 PM, Monday – Friday?
The Library is limiting hours to enable staff to implement the service in a safe and orderly manner. Staff will consider increasing these hours should demand remain high, pending availability of adequate staffing and supplies.
- Why can’t I checkout Library of Things items?
The California State Library’s COVID-19 Industry Guidance suggests that “Libraries should limit loans of games and toys” and “Items should be placed in labeled bags for ease of pick-up and to avoid unnecessary contact with the items.” This could change as the County enters new Tiers, as part of the State’s Blueprint for a Safer Economy.
- What safety precautions are being taken?
- Limiting number of people in the library and requiring social distancing.
- Disinfecting catalog computers, self check computers, and other high touch surfaces between appointments.
- Requiring masks to be worn at all times.
- Quarantining returned materials for 7 days.
What if I can’t wear a mask?
Call the Civic Center Library at 925-373-5505 between 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM, Monday to Friday, for alternative service options.
- Why is food and drink no longer allowed inside the Library?
Food and drink is no longer allowed because we need people to keep their masks on at all times.